I like big belts and I cannot lie. Seriously. I have a collection of them in my closet that have been waiting to see the light of day since 2013… and now is the time. Belting your outerwear is a great way to make a statement and is flattering on most body types because you’re cinching your waist. Here are my tips to pull off the look…
SHOP MY LOOK
SHOP MY MAKEUP
WHAT I WORE
I’ve had this belt for a few years now and usually just wore it over rompers and dresses. But when I put it over this slouchy sweater and utility jacket it made the outfit come together and look more polished. The gold chevron details of the belt and the sock booties added a little edge while the skater skirt offered a feminine touch to the outfit.
When belting your outerwear, keep in mind that your belt should be proportionate to the size of your coat or jacket. For instance, you wouldn’t want to wear a skinny leather belt over a giant puffer jacket. It would disappear! But, a wide leather belt would look great. Skinnier belts are best paired with blazers.
OTHER WAYS TO WEAR IT
- Take off the tie belt that came with your trench and throw on a leather one instead
- Have some thick ribbon laying around? Tie it in a bow around your longline coat
- Cinch a duster with a statement making embellished waist belt
- Put a western belt over a feminine peacoat to add some edge
- Make a puffer coat figure flattering by throwing on a structured wide width belt
So what do YOU think of the trend? Will you be belting your outerwear?