I’m going to start this post with a very “uh.. duh!” statement. I love to shop. Trying out new trends is exciting and as a fashion blogger, I definitely like to wear what’s new for the season. But you can’t just fill your closet with trendy pieces. You really need those basics that you can wear again and again as the years go on. So, today I want to talk about the winter basics that you should have in your closet.
SHOP MY LOOK
- Gray Coat: I love this one from ROMWE because it’s so versatile and has enough room that I can layer it over sweaters, chunky turtlenecks and even other coats.
- Camel Coat: Another versatile piece that you can wear with just about anything.
- Leather Jacket: There’s a reason leather jackets never go out of style. You can wear them with jeans, dresses, skirts, etc. Plus, you just look FLYYYY. I’ve always felt like more of a T-Bird than a Pink Lady so black leather jackets are my fave. If you want to switch things up, burgundy, dark green and tan are great color options as well.
- Jeans with Booty appeal: Yeah… this is another “duh” statement… but considering you’ll probably wear jeans year-round, it’s a good idea to buy a pair that you love (and that make your tush look tremendous). Chances are you already have a pair of skinny jeans, so why not switch things up and get a raw-hem high waisted pair? My sister and husband both told me my hiney looked good in this pair, so I basically wear them all the time now 🙂
- Black Ankle Hem Pants: Think classic Audrey Hepburn on this one. You can wear them with flats, heels, and sneakers which makes them the perfect staple.
- Leather Skinnies: Anyone who knows me understands that my love affair with leather skinnies is serious. I wear them all the time. One piece of advice? Don’t wear them when you go out dancing. I had a Ross from Friends moment one night that I’ll never forget. I was in the restroom for a solid 20 trying to pull them up over my arse. Sweat and leather don’t mix friends. Learn from my mistakes.
- Oversized Sweater: I have one in gray, white and black.
- Striped Long-Sleeve Tee: It looks great alone, under a jacket/coat, or even poking out of a sweater. When I want to dress down my black dress I’ll wear it under that too.
- Crew Neck Sweater: This type of sweater is the perfect canvas for an outfit. You can layer it over a white button up (or a printed button-up blouse if you want to add a little something extra to your outfit). They also look great with a statement necklace over-top. Plus, they’re always work-appropriate.
- Black booties: I’m the type of girl who has five pairs of black booties in her closet because I feel they all fit at different parts of my ankle (you don’t have to tell me… I already know I have a problem). If you’re going to get one pair though, I suggest the sock bootie. Yes, it’s a little trendy at the moment, but they really do look amazing and you can wear them so many different ways! (See my post on how many ways I’ve worn mine HERE).
- OTK boots: You can wear them over jeans, with skirts and dresses. They’re chic and definitely add a bit of SEXAYYY to your outfit.
- Stunning Stilettos: Ladies, this is what you’re going to spend your money on. Black stilettos never go out of style. Buy a pair that will last and is comfortable. I also like burgundy heels because it adds a little color to an otherwise neutral outfit.
- Beanie: They’re cute and they keep your ears warm. I personally like the pom-versions as of late. White, black and gray are great options, but red will give you a pop of color.
- Oversized Scarf: I love blanket scarves because you can wear them so many ways. Wrap them around your neck like a traditional scarf. Drape them over your shoulders like a poncho (they look great belted this way too!). You can also use them as a blanket when you’re traveling.
- Fun Earrings: Seem strange for a winter accessory? Think about it. You’re bundled up in your coat and scarf during the winter. No one is going to see your fancy necklace or bracelets when you’re out and about. They WILL however see you’re earrings.
Did I miss anything? I want to know what your winter staple is! Leave a comment and don’t forget to subscribe to my email list for more fashion/beauty info!