How can you pull off a mixed prints look? It’s actually really easy. Plus, it’s an outfit that you can probably create by just taking a peek in your closet (three cheers for saving money!) However, there are a few simple tricks on how to tackle the trend. Here are my suggestions..
SHOP MY LOOK
TIPS TO MIXING PRINTS LIKE A PRO:
- Stay in the same color pallet – Black and white is the easiest color pallet to use, and one of my personal favorites because it’s incredibly chic. I chose to mix houndstooth with checkered print, but there are other great color combos that look great together. One tip? Try to stick with two colors to avoid looking mismatched.
- Prints that share one similar color – If you want to add another color to your outfit, just make sure the two prints share a similar color. Example: A navy and white striped shirt paired with a navy and pink polka-dot skirt. The navy keeps the outfit looking pulled-together.
- Mix similar prints of different sizes – Small stripes and big stripes. Small polka dots and big polka dots. The different proportions look so cool together! I chose to mix a small checkered print on my scarf with a larger one on my coat.
- Mix the same print in different colors – Example: A dainty floral print turquoise top paired with a dainty floral print magenta skirt. They’re both floral prints and the color combination works. Be bold and go for it!
- Break things up with one neutral – A great way to keep a mixed print outfit pulled together is to throw on one plain-colored piece with it. Example: A plaid top and polka dot pats looks a little less busy with a solid sweater over top. You can even use a belt as a divider.
NO-FAIL PRINT PALS:
Stripes, houndstooth, leopard or cheetah print, polka-dots & checkered – These all look great together and are pieces you can wear again and again paired with multiple other items in your closet .
I hope this helped a bit if you’re trying to get into mixing prints! Do you have any tips for creating outfits with mixed patterns? I’d love to know! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to subscribe to my email list for more styling advice and giveaway notifications!